Date:      Sat, 24 Jun 2000 17:31:59 +0100
From:      Mark Ovens <mark@ukug.uk.freebsd.org>
To:        Clarence Brown <clabrown@granitepost.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: best new drive / dual boot strategy

On Sat, Jun 24, 2000 at 11:58:34AM -0400, Clarence Brown wrote:
> I've had a couple machines running freebsd for some time,
> but should still be considered a newby, so please give me
> verbose answers and don't assume I know what I'm doing ;)
>
> I was running out of space on my Win98 machine with a
> 8 gig SCSI drive. I've purchased a new 18 gig SCSI drive.
>
> My old drive was partitioned into a 6 gig C: and 2 gig d:
>
> I'm thinking using the new drive for Win98 (sorry, most of
> my work is still in MS) and using the old 8 Gig for FreeBSD 4.x
>
> Concerning dual boot, how do I need to arrange the 18 gig?
> Do I need a small FreeBSD partition near the front to boot
> FreeBSD, or can the boot utility just jump to the start of the
> 2nd SCSI drive when FreeBSD is selected for boot?

Yes. If you plan on using the FreeBSD boot manager it will boot from
the second drive when you select FreeBSD - no need for a FreeBSD slice
on the first HD. I've never installed the boot manager but AFAIK you
have to tell sysinstall to install it on *both* drives (this is how it
allows you to boot from the second drive).

HTH

> If you have a suggestion for how you would arrange this
> please advise.
>
> Thanks, Cla.

  If I buy a copy of WinDelete, and it doesn't delete Windows,
  am I entitled to my money back?