Date:      Tue, 01 Jun 1999 13:21:24 +1000
From:      Greg Black <gjb@acm.org>
To:        Bill Paul <wpaul@skynet.ctr.columbia.edu>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: xl driver for 3Com

Bill Paul writes:

> If you have a real, detailed and accurate bug report to submit, then fine:
> let's hear it. But if you just want to make vague and unsubstantiated
> complaints, do me a favor and just keep it to yourself.

This whole argument strikes me as a good wake up call for all of
us.  It really is important to make sure that problems with
software are reported and that those reports are framed in a
useful manner, because that is the only way that software gets
improved.  I'm sometimes guilty of not bothering to report bugs
that I can easily work around, even though I hate it when people
who use my software do the same.  I'm re-motivated now to make
the effort to contribute meaningful reports whenever I find bugs.

As an aside, my experience with the xl driver (ever since I
added it in to 2.2.7) has been completely positive, so I can't
help with fixing any possible problems there.

As for Dennis, he's just not worth responding to.  He has a bad
reputation as a total waste of space with an attitude problem as
big as Texas.  Just ignore him.

--
Greg Black -- <gjb@acm.org>