Date:      Thu, 13 Jun 1996 23:48:59 -0700
From:      David Greenman <davidg@Root.COM>
To:        "Jeffrey D. Wheelhouse" <jdw@wwwi.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Trap 12/supervisor read, page not present

>I guess I've been unceremoniously welcomed to the happy group that
>frequently gets this panic on a 2.1-stable system.  I set the system
>up last week and it's been doing this pretty much the whole time, on
>pretty much any kernel I can build.
>
>I did some digging with the mailing list search on the FreeBSD home
>page, and though I found that I am not alone, I was not able to find
>reference to a solution or workaround, or even a "replace the ZZZ
>card with one from XXX and your problem will stop".  Has anyone been
>able to suss out this error?

   That's just about the most generic error that you can experiance. It's
caused by anything which references a bogus pointer in the kernel. You need to
provide MUCH more information about the crash. The complete trap information,
info about which routine the trap occurred in (via the kernel namelist) or
(better) a symbolic traceback if this is available.
   Just saying that you had a "trap 12" is not useful other than to say that
you're having a problem of some kind.

-DG

David Greenman