Date:      Mon, 6 Oct 1997 18:49:28 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        rminnich@Sarnoff.COM (Ron G. Minnich)
Cc:        dcarmich@mcs.com, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, freebsd-smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Building parallel "Beowulf-style" supercomputers with FreeBSD

> A cluster based on FreeBSD would
> I suppose have to have a different name, but we've done a lot of computing
> over the last three years with such a cluster: works fine.

I vote for "Legion", because of the obvious tip of the hat to Chuck...

> To my regret, FreeBSD dropped a nice opportunity a few years back to have
> the first real distributed shared memory on a free Unix when I offered
> them MNFS, but them's the breaks. That distinction went to Linux instead.

Same for devfs, same for reschedulable one-shot timers instead of DELAY()
loops, same for a number of technologies.  FreeBSD is very conservative.

> Go for it. Oh yeah if you want the latest ZOUNDS let me know. The earlier
> version would not compile on 2.2 due to some #include stupidity on my
> part. I'll try to get the latest one out to the web page ASAP.
>
> Don't forget to pick a catchy name. That's at least as important as what
> you do.

	"We've done flight testing, and it passed.  We've done combat
	 systems testing, and it passed.  We've don'e manouverability
	 testing, and it passed.  We've done avionics testing, and it
	 passed.  And we've done ergonomic testing, and it passed.  All
	 tests passed, with flying colors.  But the Air Force won't buy
	 it until we can caome up with a mean sounding name."

			-- cartoon in Radio Electronics magazine

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.