Date:      Thu, 06 Feb 2003 10:23:53 -0500
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
To:        Kenzo <kenzo_chin@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: manufacturing

Kenzo wrote:
> My boss just presented me with an Idea.
> He wants for me to build couple computers to use on the manufacturing floor
> using linux or Freebsd.

I set up almost the exact same system for a client of mine.  They _do_ use
Windows, however, and I'll explain why (although I can't say that I think
it's the best possible solution).
1) The database that tracks all their engineering data was written in
    Foxpro (although that's going to change) and Fox only runs on Windows.
2) Their engineering drawings are in AutoCAD.  AutoDesk provides the Volo
    view software that give pan/zoom capabilities in a read-only package.
    Again, only runs in Windows.  And Volo view is free (dollar-wise).
3) The hardware itself was trickled down when the admins got their "new"
    computers that were trickled down from engineering.  IOW, the computers
    are about 5 years old, and already had Windows on them from when they
    were new.

> The computers will only need a web browser and some type of remote control.

How are you going to view CAD files in a web browser? (I'm curious, I may be
able to use the info)
For remote control, ssh can be scripted to do commands.  If you're sure about
the security of your network, you could even use rsh.

> The reason is this.
> We're a manufacturing plant, with of course a manufacturing line.  On the
> lines, they have drawings and schematics, that the workers need to look at.
> well right now, what they do is print those out and post them at every
> workstations.
> what they would like is a computer at every workstation that can use a
> browser to look at a webpage where the drawings and schematics will be
> located.

I can give you 2 pieces of information on this plan ...
1) It's well worth the time and effort, makes everything easier and more
    likely to be up to date and correct.
2) It probably won't go as smoothly as you like.  We found that the
    engineer's drawings weren't nearly as organized as they claimed, and
    the results were mistakes and shop workers sitting around the engineering
    department while the engineers figured out where the drawings were.  The
    result was also that engineering has gotten a lot more organized ;)

> They don't feel like spending 500 bucks for a new windows machine, so we
> figure we could just use our old computers for that.

Makes sense.  Most shop environments are hell on computers, and they'll have
quite a short lifespan.

> They will also need some type of remote control, they were thinking that one
> operator would be in charge of connecting to all the computers and opening
> the webpage.  I was thinking of using someting like VNC.

Oops ... that may be a tall order for ssh or rsh.  You could also set up a
single machine and make the rest X-terminals.

> Now, what would be the best way to accomplish this?
> He is more geared toward a linux box with redhat, but I would rather setup a
> computer with Freebsd that would do all the trick.
> what x-window manager should I use?

Were it me, I'd use something plain-jane like Enlightenment or twm or some
other minimal WM, to keep them from playing around.

> what should I use for web browser?

Mozilla, Opera, or Galeon.

> Will using VNC work?

Probably, but test the performance first.

> I was thinking of only connecting a monitor to those
> workstations and have no keyboards and mouse.

How do the users control things then?  You're going to have the shop manager
control everything completely?  Interesting twist.  We found it to be very
efficient to let the operator control their own computer.  But then again,
the software I wrote allows them to click on the job they're working on and
the drawing they need just pops up ... so the back-end logic is important
to the success of that scheme.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies