Date:      Fri, 13 Nov 1998 13:27:42 -0500 (EST)
From:      Mike Newell <mnewell@newell.arlington.va.us>
To:        FreeBSD questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Bad superblock errors on Libretto

One of my co-workers and I have been receiving the following error on
boot, both of us have Librettos:

	BAD SUPER BLOCK: VALUES IN SUPER BLOCK DISAGREE WITH THOSE IN FIRST ALTERNATE

This occurs after the systems have been up and running fine.  It usually
happens after several (in my case many) reboots.  The file system cannot
be checked, and any attempt to do so generates an even more corrupt file
system.  In my case I'd been running FreeBSD for a couple of days, then
started running Windoze for about a week, then when I tried to boot the
FreeBSD partition I got the is message.  The file systems get badly
corrupted (I had some _VERY_ intereting special files the last time this
happened - as in directories changed to special files with really weird
major/minor numbers).  About the only thing to do is reload... :-(!!

When this happened to me first I reformatted the partition as DOS and did
a scandisk throuogh with surface scan; no media errors were found.  No
media error messages are ever logged, so I suspect it's not a media
problem.

The configuration is as follows:

  - Libretto 70CT, 32M RAM, 3.2Gb IDE hard drive
  - FreeBSD 2.2.7-RELEASE
  - Drive parititioned 2GB for Windoze, 1GB for FreeBSD
  - Windoze '95 factory installed

In each case the box ran for days or weeks with no problems, then this
error occurs.  There does not appear to be a way to recover the file
system.

Help!! :-0!!

Much obliged,

Mike

| Mike Newell                          | The opinions expressed herein      |
| Affiliation:                         | are mine.  You can take them or    |
| Address:                             | leave them.  Flames to /dev/null.  |