Date:      Tue, 1 Dec 2020 20:42:41 +0100
From:      Alban Hertroys <haramrae@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   KLD zfs.ko: depends on kernel - not available or version mismatch

I=E2=80=99ve been trying to get a fresh world running (for the eventual =
purpose of running amdgpu against my recent graphics adapter), but I run =
into trouble with core loadable kernel modules, such as zfs.ko from the =
subject. It also happens with other modules that I tried randomly, for =
example, geom_mirror.ko.

I updated to the latest current using svn up in /usr/src, then:
	make clean
	make buildworld kernel -j12
	shutdown -r now

boot to single user mode

	kldload zfs

Which results in dmesg messages:

KLD zfs.ko: depends on kernel - not available or version mismatch
linker_load_file: /boot/kernel/zfs.ko - unsupported file type
KLD zfs.ko: depends on kernel - not available or version mismatch
linker_load_file: /boot/kernel/zfs.ko - unsupported file type
KLD zfs.ko: depends on kernel - not available or version mismatch
linker_load_file: /boot/kernel/zfs.ko - unsupported file type
KLD zfs.ko: depends on kernel - not available or version mismatch
linker_load_file: /boot/kernel/zfs.ko - unsupported file type

I can load the zfs kernel module from kernel.old just fine:

ZFS filesystem version: 5
ZFS storage pool version: features support (5000)

This happens with any kernel module I=E2=80=99ve tried, such as =
geom_mirror and amdgpu (from ports/graphics/drm-current-kmod - the =
latter causes a kernel panic with kernel.old BTW).

I=E2=80=99ve gone back as far as Oct 7 (before changes to =
kern/elf_load_obj.c off the top of my head), looked at mailing list =
archives and forums etc, all to no avail.

I have / on UFS+J and /usr on ZFS and nothing in /etc/src.conf. I had =
/etc/malloc.conf with the recommended symlink from UPDATING, but the =
same happens with that moved out of the way. Nothing seems to help.

Do I need to go back further to get into a usable state or is there =
something else I should be doing?

Regards,
Alban Hertroys
--