Date:      Mon, 19 May 1997 11:39:28 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Dan Busarow <dan@dpcsys.com>
To:        "Jeffrey M. Metcalf" <metcalf@snet.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Q: Development questions on FreeBSD

On Sun, 18 May 1997, Jeffrey M. Metcalf wrote:
> I would like to get into some more serious software development on
> FreeBSD, but I need to learn some of the basics.  For now, I was
> wondering how some of the complex makefiles I see in the FreeBSD
> ports are generated.  Does the developer actually do this by hand?

You could write an Imakefile and use xmkmf to gen the Makefile
but I do it by hand.

Complex systems grow slowly, so the Makefile starts out quite simple,
you can use a standard template, and grows module by module as
you add source to the project.

There are probably tools out there, other than imake, to build
your makefiles for you but I've never seen a need.

I have one Makefile that is almost 3000 lines long, and very few of those
are comments.  Three or four years ago it was probably only a
100 lines long.

Dan
--
 Dan Busarow                                                  714 443 4172
 DPC Systems / Beach.Net                                    dan@dpcsys.com