Date:      Wed, 04 Feb 2004 09:42:47 -0800
From:      Samuel Clements <sclements@linkline.com>
To:        Guy Dawson <guy@crossflight.co.uk>, freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SATA RAID 5 controller for FreeBSD

At 02:54 AM 2/4/2004, Guy Dawson wrote:
>Samuel Clements wrote:
>>
>>>I am looking for supported RAID 5 controller for FreeBSD and
>
>>The Intel SRCS14L is also supported.
>>http://www.intel.com/design/servers/buildingblocks/srcs14l/ This should
>>use the same driver (iir) as the U32's which we use all over the place.
>>The management software (storcon) looks just like the BIOS of the card
>>when you run it! Pretty neat.  You should be able to pick one up retail
>>for about $290US.
>
>So, putting my dumb head on for a moment...
>
>Intel have made a hardware SATA RAID card which looks to a device driver
>just like an already supported U320 RAID card. Cool!

As I understand it, yes. Not being a guru about this kind of stuff, I don't
know the in's and out's of doing this, but this was one of the big deals
about the Intel RAID controllers - they all used the same drivers and
firmware (being based on the ICP Vortex design and software, you'd expect
that!). You could swap controllers and models of controllers (even in
Windows 2000!) and the machines would just work. The latest Intel RAID
controller (U42X) breaks this model and I don't believe it is yet supported
in FreeBSD. Something about a new RAID architecture on this and 'all future
controllers'. For now though, the S14L should be a good-to-go hardware RAID
controller for FreeBSD.