Date:      Wed, 4 Apr 2012 17:46:40 +0200
From:      Moritz Wilhelmy <mw+fbsd@dennis.cs.uni-saarland.de>
To:        DarkSoul <darksoul@darkbsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Do you recommend Supermicro AOC-SAT2-MV8 as PCI-X SATA controller?

Hello,

On Wed, Apr 04, 2012 at 23:25:28 +0900, DarkSoul wrote:
> I used this card for my personal ZFS NAS (2 cards, 15 disks + 1 SSD).
>
> http://www.supermicro.com/products/accessories/addon/AOC-SAT2-MV8.cfm
>
> Frankly speaking, this card will work 99% of the time. But it has a few
> quirks :
> - Sometimes, I've had a port drop because maybe of a broken/dying disk.
>   The port would NOT recover unless I cold rebooted the server.
>   And a port not recovering means, even the BIOS option ROM programming
> won't find it.
>   Quite annoying as one could guess.
> - I could panic a system by removing a drive (back in the 8.1-RELEASE
> days) because of thread locking/sleeping issues.
> - I don't know what is to blame for that but :
>  - I had more than once odd queue issues and disks flapping. Not really
> a problem with ZFS but VERY irritating nonetheless.
>  - I even had a whole controller drop on me once. Nothing a reboot/zpool
> scrub couldn't fix (with NO corruption to boot!) but still...
>  - It really, REALLY doesn't play nice with other cards. I tried
> migrating progressively to mpt(4) cards, with a one by one switch, only
> to experience stray NMIs and pretty ugly kernel panics. It turned out
> having a "pure" system with two f the same kind (mind, I was not pairing
> PCI-X and PCIe, this was in every case pure PCI-X setups) did wonders
> for stability.
>
> It's probably fairly decent for most home purposes (my main use),
> but I'd advise against it in any serious environment.

Can you (or someone else for that matter) recommend any decent PCI-X
controller for use in "serious environments", preferably with more than
4 Ports and in the same price category? :-)
The setup is rather serious, but then again, I don't expect having to
replace disks all the time (so if there isn't anything else that would
cost about the same, I might just go with this one)... It affects about
30 users. I heard Silicon Image cards are supposed to be good?

I don't need or want a hardware RAID-controller, because I'd prefer
using software RAID (and don't want to waste the extra money).

Best regards,

    Moritz