Date:      Thu, 15 Mar 2001 12:52:43 -0500
From:      Khouri Giordano <kgiordano@nikondev.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Slow process start?

I have several FreeBSD machines that running versions from 3.3 to 4.1.
They are either K6-2/500 or K6-3+/500 and they each have 64MB of
memory and the default swap space. I've seen big delays (up to 30 sec)
when trying to connect to a Samba share or telnet to them. The only
thing that I can think is that they are trying to swap stuff out to
put together a process for me. They are hardly used at all except for
distributed.net clients that run at nice 20.

Is there some way that I can tell what is holding up the machines?
Is 64MB enough RAM? Do I need a bigger swap area?

Please reply direct. I am not subscribed to the list.
--

Khouri Giordano
Software Technology Researcher