Date:      Sat, 3 Aug 2002 22:16:21 +0200
From:      Anton Berezin <tobez@FreeBSD.org>
To:        FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        Mathieu Arnold <mat@mat.cc>, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/41265: New port: textproc/p5-Text-Reflow

On Sat, Aug 03, 2002 at 12:30:04AM -0700, Mathieu Arnold wrote:

>  just found out that it "require 5.005_62"
>
>  what is the best way to test the perl version ?

At the moment the best way is to make absolutely sure that the port in
question indeed requires perl 5.6 or above.  A lot of perl modules that
require 5.005_62 do that for unimportant reasons like using `our'
instead of `use vars', using `use warnings', and ...oh well, that's
about it, I think.  Such things can be trivially patched, even by
oneliners in the port's Makefile.  Some examples:

textproc/p5-Text-FixedLength-Extra
www/p5-WWW-Automate
databases/p5-GraphViz-DBI

If this is not the case, and the module indeed requires more substantial
modifications to make it work with 5.005_03 (for example, some extended
operations with fields.pm, the use of @+ and @- magic arrays, unicode
stuff), the solution similar to the one you propose should work.

>  shall I do something like :
>
>  .if ${PERL_VER} =3D=3D 5.005
>  BROKEN=3D"Needs Perl 5.6, you can install it from ports
>  (${PORTSDIR}/lang/perl5"
>  .endif
>
>  which does not work...
>
>  help, someone ?

For example:

pre-everything:
    @${PERL} -M5.006 -e1 2>/dev/null || \
    ( ${ECHO_MSG} "===> Requires perl 5.6 or above (available from the ports collection)"; \
    false )

This should, more or less, do what you want.

That said, if perl5/perl5.8 ports were to run use.perl port
automatically upon install, the easier solution would be to just include
perl5 as a dependency.  This might happen one day.

=Anton.
--
| Anton Berezin                |      FreeBSD: The power to serve |
| catpipe Systems ApS   _ _ |_ |           http://www.FreeBSD.org |