Date:      Fri, 12 May 2006 08:42:55 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Peter G <pg@eth1.com>
To:        freebsd-questions-local@be-well.ilk.org
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Fatal Trap 10: trace trap while in vm86 mode, trying to boot install CD after menu

Thanx for your prompt reply

When i try safe mode or any mode...
The same effect in ANY mode.
i am about to try setting the following at the loader
prompt from the boot menu
set hw.ata.ata_dma=0

and seeing if thsi helps

I do know also taht these blades have a Serverworks
chipset and i looked at this exchange from the
archives:

http://groups.google.com/group/muc.lists.freebsd.stable/browse_frm/thread/bb3484c9f7a282/d7d619bf611e0f64?lnk=st&q=serverworks+install+group%3A*freebsd*&rnum=5&hl=en#d7d619bf611e0f64

The folks in that exchange were able to solve their
problems by eliminating their CD drives, I have a USB
CDROM that i am attempting to load from when i get the
Fatal Trap 10 message,(there is NO option to have a
local CD drive here and the BiOS only offers booting
fr a USB Floppy or USB CD Drive as THE only options
other than fr a local HD inside the blade)... but i
also get the same fatal trap error when i transplant a
known working IDE HD w/ FBSD 5.4 into 1 of the blades
and attempt to boot only from that lone hardrive, so
i'm inclined to now look at thsi chipset to see if
there is a chipset problem correlation & workaround.
There are 5 identical blade servers and they ALL act
identically as reproducing thsi error.

Thanx for your reply, any input is appreciated.

-Peter