Date:      Mon, 07 May 2001 17:28:40 -0400
From:      cjm88@home.com
To:        John Merryweather Cooper <jmcoopr@webmail.bmi.net>
Cc:        Wilko Bulte <wkb@freebie.demon.nl>, Jonathan Belson <jon@witchspace.com>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Lockups with -Stable on Athlon

As a 'heads up'... I recently put together an  Athlon 1.13G machine with 256M
PC133 CAS Latency 2 memory and the the system has been rock solid.  The only
surprise was that even with an ATA 100 drive it seemed that IO hurts the
responsiveness of the system more than when I configure slower SCSI drives in.

Anyways... there was reference to the cpu cooler being circular (maybe a
Thermaltake Orb type)... there was an excellent review of different cooling fans
at www.tomshardware.com and the Orbs didn't perform very well... something about
to much turbulence around the cooling fins...  It may be that on the system
exhibiting problems, those problems are the result of thermal stress.