Date:      Fri, 4 Oct 1996 09:48:10 +0900 (JST)
From:      Michael Hancock <michaelh@cet.co.jp>
To:        Garrett Wollman <wollman@lcs.mit.edu>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Immutable flags (was: Re: WARNING: botched ld.so commit! :-()

On Thu, 3 Oct 1996, Garrett Wollman wrote:

> <<On Thu, 3 Oct 1996 06:30:22 +0900 (JST), Michael Hancock <michaelh@cet.co.jp> said:
>
> > /kernel is marked immutable.  I'd like to be able to configure systems
> > such that you can't change the flags unless you are in single user mode
> > even if you're root.
>
> sysctl -w kern.securelevel=0 #in /etc/rc.local

How many deamons are running by the time you get to this line?

This isn't satisfactory, I don't want the -1 to 0 window fullstop.

This is a yet another 4.4 advance over other Unix implementations, yet we
hide it.

If this security level stuff has a holes in it we are unlikely to find
them and fix them if the initialization isn't exported to us in kernel
config because hardly anyone will use it.  The false sense of security
argument is bogus.

Why can't we export it like all the other BSDs?  They call it INSECURE
which toggles -1 or 0, we can call it something else following the
"principle of least astonishment to newbies".

options		INITIAL_SECURITY_LEVEL=0	#man init for details

Regards,

Mike