Date:      Sat, 26 Oct 2019 12:03:01 -0400
From:      Theron <theron.tarigo@gmail.com>
To:        x11-list freebsd <freebsd-x11@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Linux OpenGL applications on Intel graphics

I am trying to run Linux OpenGL apps on my FreeBSD installation. The GPU
is Intel and I have drm-kmod working.  FreeBSD OpenGL apps work well,
only Linux compat is giving trouble.

Any program I've tried falls back to software rendering or fails, with
the message:
libGL error: failed to load driver: nouveau

For example, using linux-c7-glx-utils:
$ env LIBGL_DEBUG=verbose /compat/linux/usr/bin/glxinfo64
name of display: :0.0
libGL: Can't open configuration file /etc/drirc: No such file or directory.
libGL: OpenDriver: trying /usr/lib64/dri/tls/nouveau_dri.so
libGL: OpenDriver: trying /usr/lib64/dri/nouveau_dri.so
[more /etc/drirc lines]
libGL error: failed to create dri screen
libGL error: failed to load driver: nouveau

Then it loads swrast and proceeds with software rendering.

My question is: Why is LibGL trying to use nouveau driver?  That is not
at all appropriate, whereas I don't see any attempt being made to load
i915/i965 driver.

I do have an Nvidia GPU on the bus, but it is turned off, its drivers
are not installed, and the running Xorg certainly is ignoring it as
expected (and there is no such thing as FreeBSD nouveau driver anyway).

Is this more likely a drm-kmod bug, a linux-compat ports bug, or an
upstream Mesa bug?  I would just be filing a bug report at this point if
I knew.

Theron Tarigo

note: linux compat filesystems are mounted as expected by linux_base-c7
and linux-c7-dri:
$ mount | grep linux
linsysfs on /compat/linux/sys (linsysfs, local)
linprocfs on /compat/linux/proc (linprocfs, local)
tmpfs on /compat/linux/dev/shm (tmpfs, local)