Date:      Wed, 25 Mar 1998 00:25:08 -0500
From:      Paul Wilson <prw@bestweb.net>
To:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Let's compare notes

At 04:11 PM 3/25/98 +1100, you wrote:

>Right after you installed FreeBSD, logged in and sat there at
>the prompt, what's the first thing you ever did? :-)

I typed "man pppd" and tried to figure out how to connect to my ISP.

>Then what was the first thing you had to sit down and learn about?

Everything. Why I had to compile the kernel to see my modem, why my hard
drive light wanted to stay on constantly.... why ls -1 / | xargs rm -rf as
root was a bad thing. I'd just started working as support for my ISP when I
first installed FreeBSD, so I knew a few of the basics.

>How did you you learn it? What resources (documents, friends, whatever)
>did you use? How did you find the resources?

My senior sysadmin was great, apart from he's a little bit of a BOFH.
www.freebsd.org was good, the man pages were good, the docs that came with
the programs I downloaded were good.

>Did you enjoy it? How long did it take to learn?

It was great. I love a challenge. After about a year of FreeBSD, I'm
confident with just about anything, with the help of man pages, even if
some of them are cryptic. I'd do anything to get away from a Microslop
product (I'd install FreeBSD right now if it would support my Plug and Pray
BitSURFR Pro ISA modem)

Paul.