Date:      Mon, 08 Feb 1999 09:37:20 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        Licia <licia@o-o.org>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: GPL *again* (was: New CODA release)

> It's simple. I recommend the 2-clause Berkeley license with the following
> additional clause:
>
> Neither this code, nor any derivative work based on this code, may be
> published under a license that conditions its use upon the publication
> of source code.

No offense, but this is unwise.  Either you're for absolute freedom of
movement or you're against it, and the whole beauty of the 2 clause
BSD license is that it's simple and specifically does NOT attempt to
place undue restrictions upon reuse.  That last paragraph there is
very legally ambiguous ("publication" is a very loose term which any
lawyer could make legal hash out of) and only obfuscates the license
for what is probably zero legal gain.  I honestly do not and cannot
recommend that anyone use a license other than the 2 clause Berkeley
license, unmodified and unmolested in any way.  Its very simplicity is
a precise and deliberate part of its attractiveness in the first
place.  Start mucking with it and the GPL, with all its good
intentions and mountains of legaese, is the next stop in the road.

- Jordan