Date:      Sun, 01 Feb 2004 11:23:03 -0200
From:      Herculano de Lima Einloft Neto <hlen@ig.com.br>
To:        Don Lewis <truckman@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Syncer "giving up" on buffers

Don Lewis wrote:
>>     A couple days ago I upgraded from 5.1RELEASE to 5.2CURRENT, only to
>>find myself dealing with this situation. I didn't like the looks of it,
>>so decided to go back to 5.2.1RC today.. and realize it is also there.
>>Is this bug being tolerated so far?
>

> I fixed one cause of this problem shortly before 5.2-RELEASE (running
> fsck on the root file system in single-user mode and rebooting before
> the file system is re-mounted read-write).  I believe there are at least
> two other causes of this problem.
>
> One cause that a lot of people run across is rebooting while an ext2
> file system is mounted.  Bruce has done the analysis of this problem,
> but nobody has stepped up with a patch to fix it.  The workaround is to
> unmount any ext2 file systems before rebooting.
 > (...)

I fit in this case.. umounting by hand seems to work around indeed, but
adding umounts to the end of rc.shutdown has no effect. It's an ext2fs
thing, but root is not properly dismounted, requiring fsck on restart
even though my ext2fs's are mounted read-only by rc.local and do not get
fsck'd.

--
Herculano de Lima Einloft Neto