Date:      Sat, 19 Sep 1998 21:43:37 +0000
From:      "Magnus" <ambein@mail.unixg.ubc.ca>
To:        support@cdrom.com
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   ports won't build

Dear Tech supporters,

	I realize your time is valuable and you have thousands of questions
to answer daily.

	I managed to create a symbolic link between /usr/ports/distfiles
and /cdrom/ports/distfiles. I did this with the following procedure:

# bash
# mount -t cd9660 /dev/matcd0a /cdrom
# cd /cdrom/ports/distfiles
# mkdir -p /usr/ports/distfiles
# for i in *; do
>  ln -s $i /usr/ports/distfiles/$i
>  done
# cd /usr/pots/editors/staroffice
# make [or make install]

My problems percedes this command and I have tryed making numerous
other packages with very similar outputs, what follows looks like
this:

>> StarOffice31-common.tar.gz doesn't seem to exist on this system.
>> Attempting to fetch from file: /cdrom/ports/distfiles//.
cp: /cdrom/ports/distfiles//StarOffice31-common.tar.gz: No such file
or directory
>> Attempting to fetch from ftp [....]
>> Couldn't fetch it [....]
>> Port manually into /usr/ports/distfiles/ and try again.
*** Error code 1

Stop.
*** Error code 1

Stop.
*** Error code 1

Stop.
#

Is it just that I'm selecting packages that don't have the
source archived on the cds? Is it because some source is archived as
.tgz not .tar.gz? Or is it that I need to link /usr/ports/ with
/cdrom/packages/?

I hope this desription is sufficient for a solution! I appreciate any
guidance you can offer me -- I've been at this for two weeks.

		Thanks,

				Magnus Bein