Date:      Fri, 19 May 2000 13:32:28 -0400
From:      Peter Radcliffe <pir@pir.net>
To:        Wietse Venema <wietse@porcupine.org>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Need FreeBSD 4.0 removable SCSI support

Note: I'm on -mobile but not -scsi.

Wietse Venema <wietse@porcupine.org> probably said:
> Ted Buswell:
> > Even though you don't care anymore, whether or not the Jaz is upsetting
> > the card or driver by spewing garbage is easy to determine: with nothing
> > plugged into your bus adapter, does the rescan still lockup your
> > machine?
>
> Hmm, I didn't try that. I'll see if I can fire up 4.0.

I pulled a 1Gb Jaz drive from another machine (I don't have any 2Gb jaz
drives) and tested that with my adaptec 1460.

I could scan the bus ok, but running /stand/sysinstall crashed the
machine.  I got a crashdump;

  panicstr: page fault

but I can't get any real information from this, no real stack trace :/
just late shutdown stuff;

(kgdb) where
#0  boot (howto=Cannot access memory at address 0xc8fe7c08.
) at ../../kern/kern_shutdown.c:304
(kgdb) list
299             EVENTHANDLER_INVOKE(shutdown_post_sync, howto);
300             splhigh();
301             if ((howto & (RB_HALT|RB_DUMP)) == RB_DUMP && !cold) {
302                     savectx(&dumppcb);
303     #ifdef __i386__
304                     dumppcb.pcb_cr3 = rcr3();
305     #endif
306                     dumpsys();
307             }
308

Trying again after the reboot I can use the Jaz drive fine, sysinstall
works ok, I can mount the dos partition ... no scsi errors.

Unfortunately I don't have a 2Gb drive that WV said he was having
trouble with to test.

P.

--
pir                  pir@pir.net                    pir@net.tufts.edu