Date:      Fri, 21 Mar 2003 16:29:57 -0500
From:      Don Bowman <don@sandvine.com>
To:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Don Bowman <don@sandvine.com>
Subject:   Q regarding using same hard disk image in machine with scsi and w ith ide

because of the way I automatically image my test lab
using PXE, i need to have one image that works on a
few different PC's. Up until know they've been SCSI.
Now I have one that is IDE only. Short of buying SCSI
drives and controllers, is there a way to programmatically
select the root filesystem?

the issue is the image has an fstab of /dev/da0s1a,
and for this machine it needs /dev/ad0s1a.

Is there some way to detect this in the loader using
some forth or something?

Additionally, i have the issue that a few of these
machines have no APIC IO, so my default kernel, which
is SMP, just panics on them. Short of switching everything
to a non-SMP kernel (which I'm loathe to do), is there
some way to check 'hw.ncpu' and pick the proper kernel?

I'm able to run this SMP kernel on other more-modern
motherboards that are not SMP, its just some of the
older ones that panic.

I need these machines to boot unattended, so I can't
ask a question or use ask_rootname etc.

Where would I look for info on how to solve this?

Can i do something conditionally on 'num_ide_disks'?
Can i use the inb/outb to probe something for my info?

Currently I can only get my image to go to boot(8),
or it will load the wrong kernel (SMP one) and panic.

Suggestions?