Date:      Fri, 11 Aug 2000 16:18:18 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Brian Hechinger <wonko@users.tmok.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   ssh+ppp vpn with a twist

ok, let's look at my current configuration:

fxp0: 10.253.9.1   255.255.0.0
fxp1: 172.16.2.250 255.255.0.0

my machine is a router between the two networks.  the 172.16 network knows
nothing about the 10.253 network, so i run nat on fxp1 to 'hide' the 10.253
network behind 172.16.2.250.  no incoming translations of any kind.

i now want to add two ssh+ppp tunnels.  one to a linux box, and one to a
Solaris box.  the Solaris box is lower priority than the linux box, so if it
doesn't get working i can skip it for now.

searching the FreeBSD archives as well as the linux.org and deja.com archives
i found tons of FreeBSD<->FreeBSD and linux<->linux ssh+ppp tunnel setup info,
but i have yet to run into anything really useful for FreeBSD<->linux tunnels.

keep in mind i haven't seriously touched linux in quite a few years now, so
i'm a little rusty on how it does it's thing, but it's got no tunN device, and
instead people write stuff like the pty-redir bit for linux.

so i'm either looking for a good HOWTO that handles the crossover from FreeBSD
to linux or i need someone who has done this before to send me a quick set of
instructions on how they did it.

oh, and btw: my FreeBSD box will initiate the connections (if that matters at
all) since it sits behind NAT itself, and the linux and Solaris boxes can't
get to it, but it can get to them.

thanks,

-brian