Date:      Sat, 21 Dec 2002 10:34:36 -0800
From:      Nathan Kinkade <nkinkade@dsl-only.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: half speed on 10/100 nic?

On Sat, Dec 21, 2002 at 01:07:12PM -0500, Dragoncrest wrote:
> 	Hi all.  Got a weird one for ya.  Got a server that's using Freebsd
> 	4.5 and a Kingston 10/100 nic.  One problem.  I can only get it to go at
> half speed.  No matter the link, no matter what speed setting its set at, I
> can only get half of the total available speed.  Examples.
>
> 	On a 740k DSL line I can only pass 360k max.  On a 10mbps lan link,
> 	I can only do 5mbps.  100mbps link allows me a maximum of 45mbps, sometimes
> 50.
>
> 	Any suggestions, ideas, fixes for this?  Much apreciated.  Thanks.

In any case, you should probably not expect to get much more than 80% of the
rated speed - even in an ideal setup.   100mbps is the theoretical
maximum bit rate, not the data rate.  Remember that you have some
amount of overhead in the various protocol headers.  How are you testing
the transfer rates?  What type of network is the machine connected to?
Are there more than a couple of machines active on this network?  Are
you using hubs or switches?

Nathan