Date:      Sat, 25 Jan 2003 11:07:51 -0500
From:      Jason Morgan <jwm-freebsd@sentinelchicken.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   monitoring traffic with IPFW - good idea?

I remotely admin a server and am trying to come up with a simple way to
monitor traffic. Lately, I have been manually using IPFW's count feature
to monitor individual's bandwidth usage. We don't want to restrict any
user's usage, we just want to be aware if someone starts trading mp3s,
or if our usage comes to a point where we need more bandwidth. We are a
small shop (four employees in the office) and we are using a single
server for routing, firewall, and website hosting. I was planning on
writing a simple script to email me and the boss a "ipfw show" every
day. Is this a good way to do it? Will the extra 'count' entries be more
of a burden on the system?

Please excuse my ignorance.

Cheers,
Jason