Date:      Mon, 02 Feb 1998 11:48:39 +0000
From:      Ian Grigg <iang@systemics.com>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
Cc:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: jdk115 JNI requires ELF, gcc makes a.out

Nate Williams wrote:

> > However, the result that is produced by gcc is a.out format, and the JVM
> > seems to require ELF.
>
> Huh?  I don't think so.  FreeBSD doesn't do ELF, so nothing we've
> created requires and/or uses ELF.

You're absolutely right, of course, I looked more closely and found I
had hooked into the Linux JVM, through some dodgy scripts.  It still
doesn't work with the FreeBSD JVM, but I'll have to leave it for now, it
looks like some local problem, and I need to fiddle with PATHS.

Just to complete these questions:

> If the Cryptix-C stuff in JNI, do
> they provide you with C sources and/or libraries?

In this case, I am part of the "they" and and I'm trying to compile the
source for FreeBSD (and Solaris).  When I can do that, I plan to start
shipping the source in our main src distribution, as well as a bunch of
pre-compiled dists for platforms.  It was written/ported/developed on
W95/NT and needs some re-porting.

> If libraries, are
> *they* ELF compiled?  If so, then they are not for FreeBSD, but for
> Solaris and/or Linux, and will not work under FreeBSD.

The libraries I have compiled are a.out format.  I fallaciously assumed
that the ELF was a generic thing in the JDK port, and spent all my time
hunting for methods to produce ELF formats.

> In short, the current JDK requires everything to be 100% Pure and/or
> compiled for FreeBSD in the case of the JNI stuff.

That's the confirmation I needed, thanks.  No ELFs.

--
iang                                      systemics.com

FP: 1189 4417 F202 5DBD  5DF3 4FCD 3685 FDDE on pgp.com