Date:      Thu, 21 Feb 2002 17:18:21 -0800
From:      "Brian D. Moffet" <brianm@moffetimages.com>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   SAN Disk Flash ram

I am using a Flash Ram, connected to a device that converts the PCM/CIA
Flash ram to an IDE interface, it looks like a 30 Meg hard drive...

It is currently hooked to the slave side of my second IDE controller (ASUS
CUV4X-E motherboard with Pentium III 880 Mghz), and running FreeBSD 4.3.

After doing the usual fdisk, disklabel, newfs, I mount it and start taring
stuff to the flash ram.  Someplace in the middle of this, the machine will
lock up completely.  Where it locks up is not consistent.  The keyboard is
inactive, as determined by no change in LEDs.  The IDE light is on
continuously.  I let it sit for a few hours before I shut the machine down.

I have put a 40pin/80 conductor IDE connector on both channels rather than
the 40pin/40 conductor that was in there, but that didn't help.

Is there a debug flag or something that I can turn on to help track state
information in the driver, so that I can try to determine what is going
on?  I'm just looking for ways to start tracking this problem, though if
anyone already knows of a solution, great.

I am going to try it under LINUX (redhat 7.0) to see if I can reproduce the
problem.

Thanks much,

Brian Moffet

Brian D. Moffet