Date:      Wed, 29 Mar 1995 17:33:20 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        pst@shockwave.com
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: kern/280: new slice manager totally confused about old slice disks

>>Synopsis:       the new slice code is bitching about my old slices

>1) It looks like the implicit label stuff for unlabeled disks is
>   non-functional?  I cannot ask disklable to read the pseudo-label off
>   of sd1

So we need the pseudo-label on all BSD slices?  Perhaps a read-only one
on non-BSD slices?  This would make it possible to determine the type
and size of all slices using standard ioctls and utilities (fdisk is
nonstandard and doesn't support extended partitions).

There are some semantic problems with modifiying pseudo-labels.  All
the slices and labels are currently reread on first-opens to pick up
any changes to the DOSpartition table (changes to labels are handled
better).  Modifications are thus going to be lost immediately (instead
of at the next boot) unless you keep another device on the drive open.

Bruce