Date:      Fri, 03 Oct 1997 09:59:47 -0700
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        mark@quickweb.com
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: CVSUP vs. SNAPS

In article <19971002195822.55220@vinyl.quickweb.com>,
Mark Mayo  <mark@quickweb.com> wrote:

> I'd have to agree! I think all that needs to be explained better is
> the notion of a "branch" and a "release" - i.e. a release is just a
> snapshot of the 2.2 development branch. I think many newbies aren't
> familiar with the branch terminology due to the fact that in the
> Windows world users just don't get to "touch" the development process
> so directly :-)

Here is what the CVSup documentation in the Handbook says:

    The "tag=" field names a symbolic tag in the repository.  There
    are two kinds of tags, revision tags and branch tags.  A revision
    tag refers to a specific revision.  Its meaning stays the same
    from day to day.  A branch tag, on the other hand, refers to the
    latest revision on a given line of development, at any given time.
    Because a branch tag does not refer to a specific revision, it may
    mean something different tomorrow than it means today.

It then goes on to list, separately, the relevant branch tags and revision
tags.

Could it be that the problem is simply that people don't _read_ the
documentation which already exists?

John