Date:      Sat, 9 Sep 2000 04:30:08 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Joe.Warner@smed.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Publishing with Apache

Joe.Warner@smed.com writes:
> I need to find an easy way for content publishers in different departments
> to be able to compose
> and publish web pages to my Apache server.  I've read all the documentation
> that comes
> with Apache, as well as relevant chapters in different reference books but
> haven't found any
> easy to follow instructions that tells how to set up this kind of access.

Publishing isn't really the job of the server; after all, it's about
getting pages to the server, not from them. However, there are modules
available for this. Someone has already mentioned DAV. There's also a
FrontPage module, but it's reported to have security problems.

My favorite solution is to integrate the process into the source code
control mechanisms. There should be a single command to update any
clients copy of the web pages to whatever has been checked into the
repository. Running that once a minute on the server means that
whenever your authors check something in, it's on the server in a
minute. This does require that said command be efficient.

More complex examples include a preview server, which is where the
authors changes go. The appropriate people then verify the preview,
and add them to a tag that the production server tracks. To get
*really* fancy, you can use the output of the update command (which
should be a list of deleted, updated and added files) to drive your
site-wide search engine's indexer, removing, reindexing and indexing
as appropriate.

If you're interested in something like this but don't have the
expertise, I'm available for contract work.

	<mike