Date:      Sat, 6 Jun 2020 07:11:34 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd-rwg@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>
To:        Mark Murray <markm@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Ian Lepore <ian@freebsd.org>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Cross compile FreeBSD on amd64 for arm64 failes via compile determination error

> > On 6 Jun 2020, at 00:25, Ian Lepore <ian@FreeBSD.org> wrote:
> >
> > You cannot do that.  The installworld process uses a path that points
> > into the obj tree that got built (so that new binaries are used to do
> > the install work), and those binaries are compiled for the arch that
> > did the build.
>
> That is my experience.
>
> I used to work around a closely related problem when I built build* on
> a fast machine, and did the install* on the slow ones. As I was using
> automounts, I ended up with incompatible paths baked into the build,
> so I worked around those with symlinks.
>
> I never tried this with anything other than i386/i386 or amd64/amd64,
> so the above is interesting. Could a viable cross-build* be "fixed" by
> symlinks, and somehow and easily forcing a cross-build of the bootstrap
> tools?

Thats an interesting idea, or a form of a special "populatebuildtools"
target that says to populate the obj/ tools area from the binaries
on the running system, as often those are adaquate for an installworld
to complete.  Or possibly a simple "usehosttools" to say don't even
try to use the tools from obj/ just use the tools on the running system.

> My RPis wish to know :-)

My diskless boot and build system wants to know too. :-)