Date:      Sun, 21 Mar 1999 12:30:33 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Tony Jones <tony@rtd.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Postscript/lpr question

On Saturday, 20 March 1999 at 16:42:15 -0800, Tony Jones wrote:

>>> Multipage documents come out fine, no trailing blank page, no flashing LED.
>>>
>>> Whether you get the flashing LED or not, depends on if you cat or lpr and/or
>>> the Postscript itself.
>>
>> This is what you need to investigate in more detail.
>
> OK.
>> lpr bar.ps
>   <prints 1 page, LED stays blinking until timeout
>
>> cat bar.ps > /dev/lpt0
>   <prints 1 page, LED stays blinking until timeout

OK.  I don't see much difference here.

> Add:
>   <esc>%-12345@PJL JOB
>   text
>   <esc>%-12345@PJL EOJ
>
> % lpr bar.ps
>   <prints 2 pages, last blank>
>
> % cat bar.ps > /dev/lpt0
>   <prints 1 page, LED stops flashing immediately after page prints>

Hmm.  Looks like your lpd is adding a form feed, but it's not
interpreted without the EOJ because the printer is still in PostScript
mode.

For the fun of it, I tried this on the 6MP.  Everything was fine
without the JOB/EOJ combination.  With it, it printed nothing.

> If I add 'sf' to the printcap, and always make sure that I have the
> @PJL headers/footers, I seem to be OK for both single and multi page
> postscript.

Yes, that's what I'd expect.

> Only problem now is that plain text jobs fail to print the last page
> (or first for a single page job) as no formfeed takes place, but I
> can either convert these jobs to PS, or make the filter explicity
> add a formfeed.

Right.  It's your choice.  I tend to convert to PostScript, as the
bar.ps file indicates.

> I seem to have a handle on it, hopefully not too much toner has been
> lost.

:-)

In fact, it took me over a year to use up my first toner cartridge.
I've had the printer for nearly two years, and am still on the second
now.

> I probably will end up using multiple queues, as there is the
> econmode, which uses 1/2 toner, so I'll set up an additional queue
> for that, and just have the filter at the PCL syntax for ECONJOB.

Ah.  That's (apparently) another difference from the 6MP.

> Thanks for the help

You're welcome.

Greg