Date:      Thu, 9 Oct 2014 11:22:45 +0200
From:      Borja Marcos <borjam@sarenet.es>
To:        "freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.org Filesystems" <freebsd-fs@freebsd.org>
Subject:   zfs send -R not replicating holds

Hello,

I've noticed that a zfs send -R does not actually replicate holds which =
is, in my opinion, surprising in the wrong way, as the=20
manual for "zfs send" says:

"-R            Generate a replication stream package, which will =
replicate
                 the specified filesystem, and all descendent file =
systems, up
                 to the named snapshot. When received, all properties, =
snap-
                 shots, descendent file systems, and clones are =
preserved."

Reading that I would assume that a hold is a kind of property (unless of =
course we limit
the definition of "property" strictly to the properties handled by "zfs =
get/set").=20

I am playing with ZFS dataset replication and holds seem like an ideal =
way to mark snapshots
for preservation (for example, in a "time machine" style). In that case, =
it would be great if the=20
process of replicating a snapshot to a backup server and marking it with =
a hold was atomic rather
than doing the replication and applying the relevant holds later.

Is there any provision for this, is it an oversight or is there any =
reason I am missing not to do it
that way? (apart from possible zfs send stream format incompatibilities)

Borja.