Date:      Tue, 25 Dec 2012 03:55:23 +0100
From:      Matthew Rezny <mrezny@hexaneinc.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   multimedia/x264 workaround is broken

The Ports and Clang wiki page has x264 listed as a port with build =
problems, but has Y for the USE_GCC=3Dany workaround. The last commit on =
the port, over 3 months ago, has a contradictory message, noting the =
workaround is insufficient and thus is only a temporary fix.

I am running 9.1-RELEASE/amd64 built WITH_CLANG_IS_CC and WITHOUT_GCC. I =
hit the deficiency in the workaround today while building ports.

I took the default port options, except to disable PGO as I expected =
that would be GCC specific. First attempt, configure fails with no =
working C compiler, config.log shows it tries to call "gcc" which does =
not exist because the port did not trigger any gcc from ports.

Second attempt, turn on GCC4.4+ option, clean and make again. Same =
failure, config.log is identical. Huh, why didn't it even try to build =
some GCC from ports? Looking at the Makefile I notice the blanket =
USE_GCC=3Dany and later the conditional USE_GCC?=3D4.4+. So the =
workaround appears to smash the port's GCC4.4+ option and thus it could =
never actually use any GCC from ports with this workaround in place. The =
workaround is now the culprit in the brokenness when WITHOUT_GCC is =
used.

Third attempt, remove the offending USE_GCC=3Dany line from the =
Makefile, turn off the GCC4.4+ option in the port, clean and make again. =
Success! The port builds clean with Clang, no errors or warnings except =
an ignored GCC specific option. I have not tested use of the port, that =
has to wait for others to finish building so I have some way to do so.

The immediate question is, what was the original error that mandated the =
workaround and does that error still occur with current version of =
Clang? If the latter is no, can we get rid of the temporary workaround?

Happy Festivus
(Air your grievances)