Date:      Tue, 17 Apr 2001 22:56:36 +0200
From:      "James Greenfield" <james@pagearts.co.za>
To:        <freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   GPG and "Not enough random bytes available"

--=_IS_MIME_Boundary

----------------------------------------- (on router.pagearts.co.za)

Mail scanned with Trend Antivirus Interscan Viruswall

--=_IS_MIME_Boundary

I've just installed GPG 1.0.4 on FreeBSD 4.2-RELEASE.

Any attempt to generate a keypair results in a message to the effect of "Not
enough random bytes available". Regardless of how much work I make the
system do it doesn't seem to do anything more, GPG just sits there with a
blank expression on its face.

Some searches on the Web seem to indicate a possible patch to clock.c that
may be the cause of this problem? What's of some concern to me is that all
the threads around this issue seem to indicate that it should require no
more than about 24 bytes of random data, but the message displayed indicates
that 300 bytes more are required. This seems like an awful lot of random
data.

The messages above also seemed to indicate that a reboot may result in
enough random data for a couple of email messages, but that seems pretty
drastic.

I realise that there are probably better places to search for this info, but
I'm just getting into FreeBSD again and this is the first time I've been in
a position where I can actively maintain a server that's online (admittedly
not a particularly high profile one, but we've had a couple of people poking
around already, nothing like learning on the job :)

Regards
James Greenfield

--=_IS_MIME_Boundary--