Date:      Sat, 03 Jul 2004 17:35:35 -0400
From:      Bruce Hunter <freebsd@solisix.com>
To:        Geert Hendrickx <geert.hendrickx@ua.ac.be>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Grub installation from the ports collection vs. Freebsd boot loader

On Sat, 2004-07-03 at 16:17, Geert Hendrickx wrote:
> > 	title FreeBSD 5.2.1
> > 	root (hd0,2,a)
> > 	kernel /boot/loader
>
> Sorry, this should be (hd0,1,a) !  The first slice (windows) is (hd0,0)
> and the second is (hd0,1), and you want the root-partition within that
> (hd0,1,a).
>
> GH

I have read a few instructions from info grub. I am a little confuzed.
There are so many different ways to do this. One way is grub-install
/dev/hd0 or stages.

except hd0 is not a device under freebsd. I am trying to install it to
the mbr. At least I think that's where I should install it.

i believe ad0s1 is windows and ad0s2 is freebsd
flipnode@solid# grub-install /dev/ad0/
Probing devices to guess BIOS drives. This may take a long time.
/dev/ad0/: Not found or not a block device.
flipnode@solid# grub-install /dev/hd0
/dev/hd0: Not found or not a block device.
flipnode@solid# grub-install /dev/ad0
/dev/ad0 does not have any corresponding BIOS drive.
flipnode@solid# grub-install /dev/ad0s1
/dev/ad0s1 does not have any corresponding BIOS drive.
flipnode@solid# grub-install /dev/ad0s1
/dev/ad0s1 does not have any corresponding BIOS drive.
flipnode@solid# grub-install /dev/ad0s2
/dev/ad0s2 does not have any corresponding BIOS drive.

just a little confuzed.. :o/

Bruce