Date:      Thu, 04 Jan 2001 22:44:26 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        nathan@vidican.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD + Mylex DAC960 (RAID 1) + DEC Prioris HX 6000 Server will not recognize boot record for some reason

> This machine is an Intel Pentium Pro based system, (not a DEC Alpha), it
> currently has one 200mhz 512K CPU, 196megs RAM, (4 x 32edo simms, 4 x
> 16edo simms), and two 4.5Gig SCSI disks in hot-swappable drive carriages
> configured using RAID 1 (mirrored), attached to a Mylex DAC960P/PD
> dual-channel controller. I have flashed the firmware of the controller
> card to 3.52, as reccomended during the dmesg prompts (the card
> initially had < 3.51). The problem seems to be with booting, I have
> tried several installs; all seem to partition fine except for
> 'dangerously dedicated'. After an install using a 4.4Gig root, and an
> 80meg swap, (leaving 20megs un-partitioned at the end of the drive), the
> system will not boot. If I boot off of the installation floppies, I can
> mount/view the files on the drive. This leaves me thinking it's got to
> have something to do with FreeBSD's MBR.

This is a FAQ; you have a geometry mismatch.

Due to a bug in the Mylex driver, you have to set the Mylex "BIOS
geometry" to the 2GB mode, then make sure that sysinstall correctly picks
up the */128/32 geometry (it may be confused if you have other junk on
the drive).

I've fixed this in an updated version of the driver, but I haven't had
time (or recently, the hardware) to test it properly.