Date:      Sun, 16 Sep 2012 20:33:40 +0200
From:      Paul Schenkeveld <freebsd@psconsult.nl>
To:        freebsd-embedded@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: nanoBSD on GPT gpart-ed media ...

On Sun, Sep 16, 2012 at 09:19:31PM +0300, Zeus Panchenko wrote:
> hi all,
>
> may somebody advice, please?
>
> is it possible to build nano on gpart-ed rather than fdisk-ed media?

Gpart is a tool combining the functionality of fdisk, bsdlabel, gpt and
other partition managers and on i386/amd64 systems it's usually used to
install either a MBR slice table or a GPT partition table.

Assuming what you mean is a GPT partition table.

One of the key features of NanoBSD is that there are two bootable root
partitions and the boot0 menu is used is case you want to switch back
to the previous version after an unsuccesful upgrade.  We have no GPT
boot loader that provides such a boot menu which makes NanoBSD less
compatible with GPT although with some fantasy it should be doable.

> the problem for me is that in current state, nano builds 4 slices and no
> way to create additional one to gpart rest of the space as freebsd-zfs

NanoBSD leaves the fourth slice untouched by default so you can use that
one for zfs.  In fact, I have several machines running exactly like that.

If you also want a swap partition which is not a ZFS volume, you can use
bsdlabel to split slice 4 up.  E.g. xx4b for swap and xx4d for zfs.

HTH

With kind regards,

Paul Schenkeveld