Date:      Sun, 9 Mar 1997 11:06:23 -0800 (PST)
From:      Dan Busarow <dan@dpcsys.com>
To:        "Sean J. Schluntz" <schluntz@pinpt.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ifconfig alias problem/question.

On Sat, 8 Mar 1997, Sean J. Schluntz wrote:
> Doug White wrote:
> > Change this to 'ifconfig ep0 inet xxx.xxx.xxx.bbb netmask 255.255.255.255
> > alias' and it should work.
>
> I can't make the netmask *.255, it has to be *.192 for my segmented network or
> I won't make it through the firewall. :(

Sure it will.  The ifconfig statement for the non-aliased IP already
setup the route.  The alias entry sets up a host route, that's all
you need.  Really :)

>                              (I am going to be upgrading this
> system to 2.2 when that goes -R)

Good plan but it won't make any difference re the aliased IP's.

Dan
--
 Dan Busarow                                                  714 443 4172
 DPC Systems / Beach.Net                                    dan@dpcsys.com