Date:      Sat, 20 Oct 2001 03:16:19 +0200
From:      Marko Zec <zec@tel.fer.hr>
To:        Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: fxp driver - receive interrupt bundling

Mike Tancsa wrote:

> Hi,
>         What values would you reccomend for a box with 4 fxp NICs in them ?
> Does it follow the the INT_DELAY should be lowered as you add more NICs ?

It doesn't matter how many fxp cards you have installed - if your box acts as a
server than most probably you can leave INT_DELAY at default value (Intel
proposes 0x600, but I think 0x400 would be more appropriate).

If you use your multi-fxp-card BSD box as a router, than the microcode will
impose additional delay *twice* (once in each direction), so in that case the
default value of 0x600 might be too high for achieving full 100 megE
throughput, because of TCP windowing scheme having to wait for ACK frames,
which will be held in fxp receive buffers too long. On the other hand, setting
INT_DELAY too low minimizes the benefits of bundling interrupts, as fewer
received frames get "bundled" on a single interrupt.

To summarize: if you are doing any routing (or bridging as I do), find the best
value for INT_DELAY for your specific environment experimentally, it should be
definitely smaller than or equal to 0x400. If you don't do packet forwarding
between fxp interfaces, use the defaults.

Marko