Date:      Mon, 30 Apr 2007 21:37:15 +1000
From:      Peter Jeremy <peterjeremy@optushome.com.au>
To:        Robert Watson <rwatson@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Jack Barnett <jackbarnett@gmail.com>, freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Firewall

--VbJkn9YxBvnuCH5J

On 2007-Apr-30 10:58:18 +0100, Robert Watson <rwatson@freebsd.org> wrote:
>One of the big selling points of IPFW is integration with DUMMYNET, which=
=20
>offers bandwidth management facilities not present in the other systems.

I thought altq(4) could also do most of what dummynet(4) does but
based on a closer look, it seems that it can't do the packet delay
stuff, though it seems to have fairly similar bandwidth management
facilities.

>is the main selling point for ipfw on my servers -- being able to rate=20
>limit arbitrary IP addresses, port numbers, etc, both in terms of inbound=
=20
>and outbound traffic is invaluable.

I extensively use dummynet at work to simulate WANs (bandwidth limited
and significant delays) between different servers in our models.  It
has proved invaluable for relicating field problems.

--=20
Peter Jeremy

--VbJkn9YxBvnuCH5J

--VbJkn9YxBvnuCH5J--