Date:      Mon, 24 Nov 2008 11:14:42 +0100
From:      Albert Shih <Albert.Shih@obspm.fr>
To:        Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Wifi Card for laptop

 Le 21/11/2008 à 09:48:17+0200, Giorgos Keramidas a écrit
Hi,

> Hmmm, that's a bit bad.  Is `Fn+F2' the key that turns wireless OFF/ON
> for this laptop?  Maybe the driver is crashing because the device
> detaches and re-attaches while the driver is stuck somewhere :(
>
> If you think you can grab a kernel dump from this, maybe it's going to
> be useful to debug the problem.

OK I find the problem (and solve-it ;-).

In the bios there some (very strange for me) configuration for the wifi
card, it seem it's same card to handle wifi and bluetooth. And when I pres
Fn+F2 he switch to bluetooth and my laptop crash...

So because I don't have any bluetooth device I don't use it. After
disabling bluetooth in the bios everything work fine.

> > 	No driver (and of course not working)
> >
> > 		NetXtreme BCM5756ME Gigabit Ethernet PCIe
>
> I don't see `BCM5756' or `5756' anywhere in the manpages or the source
> of the kernel in of 8.0-CURRENT either.  I think this is not supported :(

So that answer my question about change to current...

> > usable memory = 4278091776 (4079 MB)
> > avail memory  = 4124418048 (3933 MB)
>
> Heh, nice.  I see you are running an amd64 build of FreeBSD, and there
> are *lots* of memory on this laptop :)

Yes I known ;-)

> One of the tests you can run, to find out what is broken in wpi(4), is
> to build a kernel with DDB/KDB support, and grab a kernel dump when the
> wpi(4) interface stops working.
>
> The ``Developer's Handbook'' can help you build a debugging kernel:
>
>   http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/developers-handbook/kerneldebug.html
>
> Using DDB to trace through the `live' kernel while it is stuck is a bit
> tricky, but if you manage to grab some of the DDB output (i.e. with a
> serial console or even just a photograph with a camera), then we can
> mail the developers of wpi(4) and ask them for more help :)

OK. When I've some time I going to do this.

Best Regards.

JAS
--
Albert SHIH