Date:      Tue, 29 May 2012 14:04:59 +1000
From:      Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        doug@safeport.com
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: why I am upset

--9amGYk9869ThD9tj

On Saturday, 22 January 2005 at  9:53:53 +0000, doug@safeport.com wrote:
> On Sun, 27 May 2012, Warren Block wrote:
>
>> There can be a tremendous investment of time in using software, whether
>> "free" or not.  Money too, often.
>>
>> Those who work to write, port, and support free software also spend a
>> tremendous amount of time in doing that.  Money too, often.
>>
>> So both parties have a large investment, and it's easy but counterproduc=
tive
>> to get emotional about it.  Take a deep breath, be polite, and try to
>> appreciate the other guy's problems.  Otherwise it just ends up creating=
 more
>> problems, and there are already enough.
>
> Warren makes a great point. In years past Greg Lehey used to post,
> "How to ask a question", or something similar.

"How to get best results from FreeBSD questions".

> Its worth resurrecting that.

It's still there in the FreeBSD web site:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/freebsd-questions/
If people are getting upset, maybe it's worth reading it again.

> As I recall, the major points were: Nobody here is getting paid to
> do this; there are a great number of people with a wealth of
> information willing to help; and, its up to the one asking the
> question to do it in such a way as to peak someones interest.

Yes, that's a good paraphrase.

FWIW I think that Mitja has a point, even if in his frustration he put
it badly.  It's a pity that nobody here tried to get him to calm down
and say what went wrong or enter a PR.  While it's true that we're all
volunteers, that doesn't mean we shouldn't be proud of our product and
want to fix it if things go wrong.

Greg
--=20
Sent from my desktop computer
Finger grog@FreeBSD.org for PGP public key.
This message is digitally signed.  If your Microsoft MUA reports
problems, please read http://tinyurl.com/broken-mua

--9amGYk9869ThD9tj

--9amGYk9869ThD9tj--