Date:      Fri, 1 Dec 2000 11:09:28 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Mr. E" <e@andrew.cmu.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Sound/mp3 help requested.  FreeBSD 4.1.1

Hello,

Please pardon me if this is a stupid question.  I am having a bear of a
time getting sound to work in FreeBSD 4.1.1-STABLE, particularly to listen
to mp3 files.

My kernel has:

device          pcm

The pcm0 card is detected when booting up:

pcm0: <AudioPCI ES1370> port 0xb800-0xb83f irq 10 at device 11.0 on pci0

Here is what /dev/sndstat says:

pcm0: <AudioPCI ES1370> at io 0xb800 irq 10 (1p/1r channels duplex)

In particular I am trying to use mpg123.  The mixer volume is up.  The
problem is that mpg123 simply hangs.

% mpg123 jimego-stress_2000.mp3
High Performance MPEG 1.0/2.0/2.5 Audio Player for Layer 1, 2 and 3.
Version 0.59r (1999/Jun/15). Written and copyrights by Michael Hipp.
Uses code from various people. See 'README' for more!
THIS SOFTWARE COMES WITH ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY! USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!

Sometimes, if I wait a while and ^C it, it will say that it's played
[0:00] of the file.

Any ideas on if this is an issue with mpg123 itself, or my sound setup as
a whole?  Is there a good way to test the sound setup?

Many thanks,
Eric