Date:      Tue, 12 Jan 2021 13:29:00 +0000
From:      Dan Kotowski <dan.kotowski@a9development.com>
To:        Andrea Brancatelli <abrancatelli@schema31.it>
Cc:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Updates on 13-STABLE on Apple M1 (Parallel Desktop)

> On 2021-01-11 17:30, Andrea Brancatelli via freebsd-arm wrote:
>
> > Today I've found some time to spend on trying to make 13-STABLE boot on
> >
> > Parallel Desktop on Apple M1 processor.
>
> I forgot a few things:
>
> *) Even on 13-STABLE, just like 12.2, I had to force the VM in 1 CPU
>
> otherwise it would randomly get stuck at boot.
>
> *) I tried to do a basic pkg install vim-console, Vim installed ok but
>
> then got me
>
> root@f13:~ # vim
>
> ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libncurses.so.9" not found, required by
>
> "vim"
>
> *) Even on 13-STABLE the Virtio-NET doesn't seem to work, I had to use
>
> the USB Ethernet card I used on 12.2
>
> *) Finally, this the build revision
>
> root@f13:~ # uname -a
>
> FreeBSD f13 13.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 13.0-CURRENT #0
>
> main-c255641-gf2b794e1e90: Thu Jan 7 05:03:14 UTC 2021
>
> root@releng1.nyi.freebsd.org:/usr/obj/usr/src/arm64.aarch64/sys/GENERIC
>
> arm64
>
> Thanks a lot.

>From the bootloader can you try `fdt ls`?

And if you can get a shell, can you try `ofwdump -a`?

There's more info about both here: https://wiki.freebsd.org/FlattenedDevice=
Tree

Based on your last dmesg output it looks like Parallels went with a FDT-bas=
ed approach rather than ACPI. That's fine, although a bit frustrating. My i=
nitial guess is that we just don't have the DTS and drivers necessary, but =
maybe we can get that moving :)

Want to link to this message? Use this URL: <https://mail-archive.FreeBSD.org/cgi/mid.cgi?r3mmXoSdLF6Vtrzkx-GX6KFSNKJBpbugazvs_vSjcFkSVZi9Sy6q-HE_SS6OpqK6JQil-GUkRD3h6YQIp4i-v6KvgyhUosrAERVa_G2e-Ks=>