Date:      Sun, 18 Apr 1999 14:37:48 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Blaz Zupan <blaz@gold.amis.net>
To:        Stefan Schmidt <stefan.schmidt@exolution.de>
Cc:        freebsd-isdn@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: new-bus changes break i4b

> > kernel config file because my sound card needs it. The patch below is
> > based on changes between /sys/i386/isa/sio.c and /sys/isa/sio.c and it
> > could be completely wrong...
>
> it's working for me, thanks!

Great.

> isicprobe: Error: new unit (0) != next_isic_unit (1)!
>
> (the last message comes from i4b_isic_isa.c.
> didn't investigate further...)

Looking at the code, it only seems to be some kind of sanity check. Every
time a new card is probed, the counter (next_isic_unit) is incremented by
1 and then a check with the newly allocated unit number is done and if it
does not correspond, the above error is printed, that's it. I'm not sure,
but it looks like this code can be safely removed. Hellmuth?

Actually, a simmilar thing is being done in i4b_isic_pci.c, but not for
all cards. Take a look at this code:

#ifdef ELSA_QS1PCI
                case PCI_QS1000_ID:
                        ret = isic_attach_Eqs1pp(unit, iobase1, iobase2);
                        break;
#endif
#ifdef AVM_A1_PCI
                case PCI_AVMA1_ID:
                        ret = isic_attach_avma1pp(unit, iobase1, iobase2);
                        if (ret)
                                next_isic_unit++;
                        return(ret);
#endif

So next_isic_unit is being incremented only for the AVM A1 and not the
Elsa QuickStep 1000. Other than the warning message nothing bad happens if
next_isic_unit is not incremented.

Blaz Zupan, blaz@medinet.si, http://home.amis.net/blaz
Medinet d.o.o., Linhartova 21, 2000 Maribor, Slovenia