Date:      Tue, 31 Oct 1995 08:36:36 -0600 (CST)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
To:        dyson@freefall.freebsd.org (John Dyson)
Cc:        jgreco@mei.com, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: hummin security check output (fwd)

> > During a period of unusual distress (cause unknown) followed by a panic and
> > automatic reboot, my INN news server "hummin" ran out of swap for a period
> > of several hours - and the strangest thing happened.  It appears that a
> > number of running programs were "touched" in the midst of the period it was
> > running out of swap...
> >
> > Background:  FreeBSD 2.0.5R, 48MB RAM, ASUS SP3G AMD DX4/100, NCR 810 SCSI,
> > AHA-1542B SCSI
> >
> Excellent!!!  I have been trying to reproduce that problem.  I have seen it,
> and have not been able to track it down.  Now I have the proverbial
> snowball's chance to fix it!!!

If there is anything I can do to provide more useful information, please let
me know.  Something is suddenly wreaking havoc with this machine's VM on a
nightly basis (probably news-related) - it was ramming its head again this
morning but doesn't appear to have magically touched any files this time.  I
can avoid fixing whatever is wrong for a few days, if I can do anything
useful to try to help you track this problem...

(I know that's still a snowball-in-oven chance, but better that than not at
all)

... Joe