Date:      Wed, 1 Jan 1997 15:29:23 -0700 (MST)
From:      Wes Peters <softweyr@xmission.com>
To:        Randy DuCharme <randyd@nconnect.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Installation woes

Randy DuCharme asked:
 % 3. After installing several packages, sysinstall start complaining that
 % there was some error and to check to other VTTY. In doing so, I see a lot
 % of "proc: system full" (or somthing similar to that, I'm not near the
 % machine right now).

David Greenman replied:
 >    This is a known bug in the installation procedure for 2.1.5. Sysinstall
 > doesn't properly reap child processes (tar, gzip, etc), and the process
 > table will eventually overflow if you try to install too many packages.
 > Just reduce the number of packages down a bit and things should work.

Randy, please note that you can easily install *any* of the packages
on the CD-ROM after the basic system installation, using the 'pkg_add'
command.  cd to /cdrom/packages/All and pkg_add each package you want,
one after another.  It'll even take care of installing dependant
packages for you.