Date:      Tue, 07 Jan 2014 22:25:34 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <matthew@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pkgng woes

--4Pl81iDHrW6jWpnfDo5RnEDtN4xgebmhu

On 07/01/2014 22:14, Matthew Pounsett wrote:
>=20
> On 2014-01-07, at 17:08 , Patrick <gibblertron@gmail.com> wrote:
>=20
>> I'm trying to move to pkgng on some 9.2 systems, and I'm having a hard=

>> time finding some working examples of the configuration files one
>> would need to pull in packages from the official FreeBSD package
>> servers. Is there something obvious I'm missing?
>=20
> I'm running it on a fresh 9.2-RELEASE system with no special configurat=
ion at all.  I'm using the default pkg.conf:
>=20
> # cat /usr/local/etc/pkg.conf
> packagesite: http://pkg.FreeBSD.org/freebsd:9:x86:64/latest
>=20
> # pkg
> The package management tool is not yet installed on your system.
> Do you want to fetch and install it now? [y/N]: y
> Bootstrapping pkg please wait
> _http._tcp.pkg.FreeBSD.org
> Installing pkg-1.2.4_1... done
> [=85]
>=20
> You get some instructions that are important if you've been using the o=
ld ports system, and then you're ready to use it.
>=20
> I am getting warnings about the use of PACKAGESITE in the default confi=
g, but it works. =20

That's because you're using some out of date settings.  What you need is
the following:

  1) /usr/local/etc/pkg.conf -- you only need this to override global
settings.  Most people should *remove* this file.  If you do keep it, do
not define packagesite in here.

  2) Instead, you need a repository specific config file.  This is the
default config for using pkg.freebsd.org (see:
http://svnweb.freebsd.org/base/head/etc/pkg/FreeBSD.conf?view=3Dmarkup) -=
-

FreeBSD: {
  url: "pkg+http://pkg.FreeBSD.org/${ABI}/latest",
  mirror_type: "srv",
  signature_type: "fingerprints",
  fingerprints: "/usr/share/keys/pkg",
  enabled: yes
}

Save that as /usr/local/etc/pkg/repos/FreeBSD.conf

  3) You also need the package signing keys from here:

http://svnweb.freebsd.org/base/head/share/keys/pkg/trusted/pkg.freebsd.or=
g.2013102301?revision=3D257344&view=3Dmarkup

If you want to set up your own repo, then read pkg.conf(5), which
describes the pre-repo config files too.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20
Dr Matthew J Seaman MA, D.Phil.