Date:      Thu, 30 Nov 2000 19:16:03 -0600
From:      "G. Adam Stanislav" <adam@whizkidtech.net>
To:        Robert Brive <brive@freebsd-fr.org>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: documenting nonexistent files

On Fri, Dec 01, 2000 at 12:27:19AM +0100, Robert Brive wrote:
>> file says it's timezone data.  I'm don't know how it's actually used.
>
>	Purpose: to work with a GMT clock (internal or with other computers)
>		and local time (for user interface),

Is its structure documented somewhere? It is clearly a binary file, not text
that could be read and understood without any documentation.

I have just subscribed to this list and found this message. As it happens,
I have been wondering how an assembly language program can determine the
local time zone, so it can convert the seconds from 1-1-1970 to current
local date and time (I am writing a FreeBSD assembly language tutorial,
and want to cover this topic, so if the file structure is not described
in any other doc, it will be in mine, that is, if someone points me in
the direction which helps me decipher it).

Cheers,
Adam

--
Roma non uno die aedificata est